Can't say I've ever thought of sewing a hat before. Why that should be I don't know because my mother was an amateur milliner. But she worked with felt hoods and styled them into fashion hats using wooden hat blocks and lots of steam.
I, on the other hand, am always searching for the perfect sun hat. I buy one that seems to look fine in the shop but when I get it home the brim is too big or too small or too floppy or too stiff. Or, the crown is too shallow, too deep, too wide …
I found this Lincraft pattern No 1003 for fifty cents at the charity shop and decided to have a go at making my own. The hat in the photo on the pattern cover looks much larger than it is in reality. I think the model they used is ten years old!
There are only three pattern pieces (the tie is my addition) and a choice of three sizes. I made the large but should have settled on the medium. My head measurement fell between the two so I figured I could gather up the extra should it end up too large, but nothing could be done if it were too small. It was quite simple to make and I'm not unhappy with the result, although I would like to make another with a larger brim, which will be an easy enough adjustment.
The fabric was leftover from a previous project and, as it happens, goes quite well with the seersucker and lace top featured in this post.