Monday 6 July 2015

(Show us your Knickers)

Normally speaking, I don't discuss my underwear on the internet, although I believe that there is a demand for that sort of thing. The reason I'm prepared to get down and dirty (so to speak) is because I found this fantastic Knitwit pattern number 5100 (op-shop 20 cents) a week or so ago.





I'd never thought of making my own knickers before but these looked so good that I thought I'd give it a go.

Now, the thing is, I had to make sure they were going to look professional, as in bought-from-a-shop. The last thing I want is to be run over by a bus and have the folks at the hospital or (God forbid) the morgue passing comment about the old lady on the trolley wearing the homemade knickers.

I made up a trial pair and bingo! I'll never have to buy knickers again! They are the most comfy smalls I've ever worn, they take no time to make and they look just like store-bought ones.

I've gone mad and made up seven pairs from cotton interlock (a healthy fabric for clothing the nether regions), in various colours, that has been languishing in the material box since about 1985 when I bought an overlocker for making tee shirts.

I'd love to make these knickers in stretch satin but, as there's no one of the converse gender to appreciate them, that seems a bit of an extravagance. On the other hand, should Robert Redford come to Australia and ask me out I would consider it worth the outlay!

Here's a peek at the inside. The raw edges of the gusset seams are hidden and the leg edge is finished by first turning the raw edge to the right side and stitching, then elastic lace is zig-zaged on the right side with another straight row of stitching close to the edge to hold the elastic nice and flat.


French seams make a neat finish at the sides.


The waist is finished with elastic lace and a cute bow.



Anyone else out there into making their own lingerie?

No comments:

Post a Comment